Website Epsilon, Inc
Security Clearance required: Must be able to pass a Government Background Check and obtain a Public Trust
US Citizenship Required
Location: Asheville, NC
Position Summary: This position is part of a 2-person development team in support of the US Climate Reference Network (USCRN), located at NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) in Asheville NC. Development team works with a broader team of NCEI scientists and support staff at NOAA’s ATDD in Oak Ridge TN. The USCRN is a systematic and sustained network of climate monitoring stations with sites across the conterminous U.S., Alaska, and Hawaii. These stations use high-quality instruments to measure temperature, precipitation, wind speed, soil conditions, and more. The vision of the USCRN program is to provide a continuous series of climate observations for monitoring trends in the nation’s climate and supporting climate-impact research.
- Use software configuration management tools and practices to ensure operational effectiveness of data ingest, processing and quality control.
- Investigate, analyze, design and develop effective, comprehensive solutions for environmental data ingest, data processing, quality control, and visualization systems.
- Extensive interaction with scientists in support of development of new quality control algorithms and research.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Certifications:
- US Citizenship is a requirement of this position in accordance with 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(2)(C)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or associate degree and equivalent work experience
- Experience in application development, preferably in scientific software development
- Strong Java experience
- Experience with Oracle or other relational databases
- Experience with Unix/Linux command-line and bash shell
- HTML / CSS
- GIT (creating patch files and resolving merge-conflicts)
- Comfort with editing files from the command line with tools such as vim or emacs
- Designing and Building APIs
- Knowledge of software development life cycle
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility
- Experience with Python
- A background using environmental/climate variables in research is desired. Data visualization, data analysis and data quality assurance skills preferred.
- Website Accessibility Compliance
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, this position requires the ability to sit for potentially long periods of time throughout the workday. Hearing sufficient to understand conversations, both in person and on the telephone. Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components for potentially long periods of time without experiencing abnormal hand, wrist, or eye strain. Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings. Lifting and transporting moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: Includes a typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues, including exposure to heat, cold, inclement weather conditions, and occasional environmental hazards. Local, regional, and national travel may be required.
Medical, Dental, Vision Plan
AD&D and Life Insurance
Paid Federal Holidays
Paid Time Off
401(k) Retirement Plan
View More Careers at EPSILON
To apply for this job please visit www.epsilon-inc.com.