Website ERC Broadband
Regional Internet Service Provider
Junior Network Technician
While working under the guidance of Network Operations Manager and Sr. Network Architect, candidates will perform network configuration, administration & maintenance for all aspects of the ERC Service-Provider network infrastructure. This is intended to be an entry / junior level position, offering the right candidate an opportunity to work in a fiber-based, Internet Service Provider arena while growing their knowledge and skills in a variety of technical areas.
· Knowledge of networking fundamentals, specifically Layer-2 switching, and Layer-3 routing protocols.
· Working knowledge of network security, understanding of vulnerabilities and countermeasures.
· Hands on experience with Cisco routers and switches. Carrier or Enterprise class preferred.
· Strong technical aptitude and ability to research & solve complex issues independently.
· Willingness and ability to learn new skills and apply them as needed.
· Ability to effectively communicate issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality with sensitive customer and internal information.
· Must be a good team player with excellent customer service & organizational skills.
· 3+ years of recent experience on a service provider or enterprise-level network desired.
· Degree in Computer Science, Network Administration or Cisco Certifications preferred.
In addition to the above, Roles and Responsibilities include:
· Perform a wide range of network administration duties including installations, maintenance, troubleshooting, upgrades, and general support for Cisco, Adva, and other network equipment.
· Evaluate, test, and deploy all software and hardware upgrades to the networking infrastructure.
· Proactive monitoring of network services, applications, and devices using a combination of tools to ensure high availability and SLA’s.
· Assist in developing, implementing, testing, and maintaining plans / procedures.
· Collect and review network utilization data for capacity and planning purposes.
· Interface with vendors for procurement & maintenance of all IT infrastructures.
· Interface and communicate effectively with customers, partners and others in supporting the ERC or other affiliated networks.
· Manage & troubleshoot networks & Internet connectivity.
· Work closely with the ERC team to provide end-user support and issue resolution.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging tools and technologies.
· Rigorously create and maintain documentation for all processes and procedures.
· Support the work of other staff engaged in similar functions.
· Coordinate with the rest of the ERC team to meet the team / organization objectives.
· Provides emergency on-call support on a rotating basis.
· Be available 24×7 to take part in the on-call rotation and assist with complex emergencies
· Other duties as required and / or assigned
· Must be able to pass background investigation to work in the Asheville Federal Building
This position will be centered on operations at the ERC’s primary office / PoP, but will travel between different PoPs in the region, visiting customer sites for circuit turn-ups & troubleshooting. Travel outside the region should be less than 10%.
ERC is a 501c3 not-for-profit that is passionate about network infrastructure expansion and growing the technological opportunities of Western North Carolina. We provide a competitive compensation package. If you’re interested, please
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com